Disclaimer & Affiliate disclosure: The information provided on this post is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered financial or legal advice. Always consult with a financial advisor or attorney before making any financial decisions. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Both Groww and Upstox are online discount brokers that provide services related to investing and trading in the Indian market. Both brokers provide investors with the option to buy and sell a wide range of financial assets, such as equities, mutual funds, and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). You will be able to choose Groww or Upstox after this comparison blog. Let’s have a look at the differences and similarities between Groww and Upstox in more depth and compare the two.
🌟 Groww vs Upstox Comparison Highlights 🌟
|Type of Broker||Discount Broker||Discount Broker|
|Exchange Membership||NSE and BSE||BSE, NSE, MCX|
|Year of Incorporation||2016||2012|
|Platforms||Mobile and Web-based||Mobile, Web-based, Upstox Pro (Advanced)|
|Services Offered||Stocks, Mutual Funds, US Equities||Stocks, Currency, Commodities, Futures, Options, Mutual Funds, IPOs|
|Customer Service||Stock and mutual fund, UPI payments, Mobile recharge, Bill payments||Available but reports of longer wait times|
|Fees||Competitive||Ultra-low brokerage, Variable fees for larger trades|
|Advanced Trading||Limited||Upstox Pro offers advanced features for experienced traders|
|Stock Focus||Diverse Investment Options||Primarily Stock Trading|
|Demat Account Charges||Free||Free|
|Brokerage Charges||₹20 per executed order or 0.05%||₹20 per executed order or 2.5% (Equity Delivery), ₹20 per executed order or 0.05% (Equity Intraday)|
|Account Features||Stock & Mutual fund, UPI payments, Mobile recharge, Bill payments||Charting, Algo Trading, Margin Trading, Online Demo, Online Portfolio|
|Order Types||Normal order, SL order, GTT order & AMO||CNC, MIS, NRML, Cover, Bracket, AMO, GTC|
🌟 User Testimonial 🌟
👤 “I’ve been using Upstox for a while, and their advanced trading platform is a game-changer for me. It suits my needs as an experienced trader.”Sinha A.
🌟 Star Ratings 🌟
- Groww: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Upstox: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Key Takeaways 🚀
- Both Groww and Upstox are reputable discount brokers in India.
- Groww offers diverse investment options, including US equities, but charges higher transaction costs for US accounts.
- Upstox provides advanced features, ultra-low brokerage, and is ideal for stock trading.
- Consider your specific needs, whether you’re a long-term investor or an active trader, when choosing between Groww and Upstox. For long-term investor, choosing Groww will be ideal choice and for trading you may choose Upstox.
Terms and Conditions
First, let’s talk about the basics of ‘Groww vs Upstox.’
- Type of Broker: Both ‘Groww vs Upstox’ are discount brokers, which means they offer cost-effective trading services.
- Exchange Membership: ‘Groww vs Upstox’ – Upstox is a member of BSE, NSE, and MCX, while Groww is associated with NSE and BSE.
- Year of Incorporation: Upstox started in 2012, whereas Groww came into play in 2016 in the context of ‘Groww vs Upstox.’
Platforms: Both ‘Groww vs Upstox’ provide mobile and web-based platforms for trading. However, Upstox goes the extra mile by offering Upstox Pro, a more complex platform designed for professional traders in the context of ‘Groww vs Upstox.’
Caution: When it comes to services, Upstox mainly focuses on stock trading, currency trading, commodities, futures, options, and mutual funds. On the other hand, Groww offers equity investment and Mutual funds. If you’re interested in US stocks, you might want to check out Vested.
Remember: Groww is known for its excellent customer service when discussing ‘Groww vs Upstox,’ while Upstox also has customer support, but some users have reported longer waiting times.
Also read: 5Paisa vs Upstox
Key Differences: Groww vs Upstox
Here are some key differences between Upstox and Groww:
|Type of Broker||Discount Broker||Discount Broker|
|Exchange Membership||BSE, NSE, MCX||NSE and BSE|
|Year of Incorporation||2012||2016|
Platforms for trading: Groww and Upstox both provide mobile and web-based trading platforms, but Upstox additionally offers a more complex platform known as Upstox Pro specifically for professional traders. Groww and Upstox both offer trading platforms.
Upstox primarily provides services in the areas of stock trading, currency trading, commodity trading, futures and options trading, and investments in mutual funds and initial public offerings (IPOs). Groww provides an additional investing option in the form of purchasing US equities; however, the company charges higher transaction and processing costs when US accounts are funded. You may want to look at Vested, which is currently the most effective software for purchasing US equities from India.
Groww is known for providing excellent customer service, and the company has a dedicated support staff that is always ready to assist investors with any questions or concerns they may have. There is also a customer care staff available via Upstox; however, some customers have reported having to wait longer for help.
It would be inaccurate to conclude that Upstox is advantageous compared to Groww given that both brokers have their own set of advantages and disadvantages in this industry. When determining which broker would serve your interests as an investor most effectively, it is important to take into account your own tastes and requirements. The following are a handful of the many reasons why someone would find Upstox more appealing than Groww:
- Advanced trading platform: Upstox has a more sophisticated trading platform known as Upstox Pro. This platform is intended for experienced traders and provides a wide variety of advanced features, including real-time market data, different order types, and complex charting tools. Upstox is a platform that can be more suitable for you if you are a more experienced trader who is seeking a more complex one.
- Lower fees for larger trades: For its brokerage services, Upstox charges a fee that is both variable and proportional to the size of the transaction. This means that the amount of the fee that you pay for each trade is determined by the size of the trade. The cost is usually less for big trades than Groww’s fixed rate of Rs 20 per trade. If you want to make substantial transactions on a frequent basis, you may find that the commission structure offered by Upstox is more advantageous for your trading activities.
- More focused on stock trading: Because its core offering is stock trading, Upstox may be a better option for you than other brokers, particularly if the trading of equities is your top consideration. Groww provides trading as one of its services, but in addition, it provides access to a larger variety of investment opportunities, such as direct mutual funds, ETFs, US equities, and loans.
It’s essential to note that the aforementioned factors are but a few of the many reasons why someone would choose Upstox vs Groww. You may place a higher priority on other aspects, such as the quality of customer service, the diversity of investment opportunities, or the dependability of the platform. Before settling on one broker over another, it is always a good idea to perform your own research and evaluate the fees, investment possibilities, and other benefits offered by a number of different brokers.
Trading & Demat Account Opening Charges – Groww vs Upstox
|Trading Account Opening Fees||Promotion offer: Free||Free|
|Demat Account Opening Fees||Free||Free|
|Provide DP Service||Yes||Yes|
Groww fees for Brokerage services- The cost of Equity Delivery is Rs 20 per executed order or 0.05%, whichever is lower. The cost of Equity Intraday is also Rs 20 per executed order or 0.05%, whichever is lower. The cost of Equity Futures & Options is Rs 20 per executed order.
Brokerage Fees on the Upstox- Exchange Equity Delivery is a charge of Rs 20 per executed order or 2.5%, whichever is lower; Equity Intraday is a charge of Rs 20 per executed order or 0.05%, whichever is lower; and Equity Options is a charge of Rs 20 per executed order.
|Brokerage Charges Compare||Upstox||Groww|
|Plan Name||Max Rs 20 Per Order Trading Plan||Flat Brokerage Plan|
|Equity Delivery||2.5% or Rs 20 whichever is lower||0.05% or Rs 20 whichever is lower|
|Equity Intraday||0.05% or Rs 20 whichever is lower||0.05% or Rs 20 whichever is lower|
|Equity Futures||0.05% or Rs 20 whichever is lower||Flat Fee Rs 20|
|Equity Options||Flat Fee Rs 20||Flat Fee Rs 20|
|Currency Futures||0.05% or Rs 20 whichever is lower||Not Available|
|Currency Options||Flat Fee Rs 20||Not Available|
|Commodity Trading||Flat Fee Rs 20||Not Available|
|Hidden Charges||Info Not Available||Info Not Available|
|Funding||Info Not Available||Info Not Available|
|Call & Trade Charges||Rs 50 Per Executable Order||Service not provided|
|Auto Square off Charges||Rs 20 Per Executable Order||Rs 50 Per Executable Order|
Groww vs Upstox – Exchange Transaction Charges
Groww Exchange Transaction Charges for Equity Future are 0.002%, while the Groww Exchange Transaction Charges for Equity Options are 0.053%. The Upstox Exchange Transaction Charges for Equity Future are NSE Rs 200 per Cr (0.002%), while the Upstox Exchange Transaction Charges for Equity Options are NSE Rs 5300 per Cr (0.053%) (on premium).
|Equity Delivery||NSE Rs 325 per Cr (0.00325%) | BSE Rs 300 per Cr (0.003%) (each side)||NSE Rs 345 per Cr (0.00345%) | BSE Rs 300 per Cr (0.003%) (each side)|
|Equity Intraday||NSE Rs 325 per Cr (0.00325%) | BSE Rs 300 per Cr (0.003%) (each side)||NSE Rs 345 per Cr (0.00345%) | BSE Rs 300 per Cr (0.003%) (each side)|
|Equity Future *||NSE: 002%||NSE Rs 200 per Cr (0.002%)|
|Equity Options *||NSE: 0.053% on premium||NSE Rs 5300 per Cr (0.053%) (on premium)|
|Currency Futures *||NA||NSE Rs 130 per Cr (0.0013%) | BSE Rs 26 per Cr (0.00026%)|
|Currency Options||NA||NSE Rs 2900 per Cr (0.029%) | BSE Rs 2600 per Cr (0.026%) (on premium)|
|Commodity||NA||Group A – Rs 290 per Cr (0.0029%)|
|Open FREE Groww Account||Open FREE Upstox Account|
Groww vs Upstox – Account Features
|Account Features Compare||Upstox||Groww|
|Margin Trading Funding Available||No||Yes|
|Combined Ledger for Equity and Commodity||Yes||No|
|Intraday Square-off Time||3:15 PM||3:10 PM|
|Download 0 AMC Upstox||Download 0 AMC Groww|
Groww vs Upstox – Order Types
Both brokers provide CNC orders, MIS orders, and NRML orders. The distinction is made by the advance order type, which includes cover orders, bracket orders, AMO orders, and GTC orders. The distinction is made by the advance order type, such as cover order, bracket order, AMO order, and GTC orders.
Cover Orders (CO) – Upstox provides Cover Orders (CO) that Groww does not. Cover Orders (CO) are set with a mandatory stop loss, and this is an intraday position. As this trade is placed with a mandatory SL, the broker will provide you with an extra margin via a cover order.
Bracket Orders (BO) – Upstox offers Bracket Orders (BO) that Groww does not. By bracketing one order with two opposite-side orders, you may lock in a profit. A BUY order is covered by a high-side sell limit order and a low-side sell stop order. You will obtain a more significant margin in bracket order since you are minimizing your losses.
After Market Orders (AMO)- Both brokers provide After Market Orders.
GTC Orders- Both brokers support Good Till Cancelled (GTC) orders.
Also read: What is the best Stocks Investment method?
|Order Type Compare||Upstox||Groww|
|AMO-After Market Orders||Yes||No|
|GTC-Good Till Cancelled||No||No|
Upstox trading features
- Receive up to a fivefold margin on the top 500 stocks.
- Conduct market research using TradingView and ChartIQ’s library resources.
- GTT will help you time your entry and exit effectively. Stop loss orders and set profit targets
- You may trade straight from the charts on TradingView.
- Trade in deep ITM/OTM contracts
- Using the Margin Pledge tool, you can double your margin.
- Trade quickly with the help of the Option Chain and Greeks.
- Pre-built Option Strategies
A place that simplifies monitoring, analysing, and trading in financial markets. With TradingView X Upstox, you may get access to TradingView Pro features for FREE, normally costing 12,000 per year.
You have the option of using TradingView or ChartIQ.
Conduct in-depth analysis of patterns using more than 100 studies and 80 different drawing tools.
Multi-chart view, with the ability to display up to eight charts on a single screen
Direct trading from charts
Groww: Advantages & Disadvantages
Groww Advantages Groww Disadvantages The opportunity to invest online in gold ETFs, gold funds, and gold stocks and bonds Does not provide a capability for three accounts in one. Zero Demat AMC Charges Does not offer trading in commodities Clearing Charges Are Free Does not provide facility for trading: Bracket orders. Free Demat and Trading account, and there are no fees associated with setting up the account. No services for Call and Trade are provided. Investing in mutual funds without any fees. No services for Call and Trade are provided. There are no DP fees associated with buying and low brokerage. Does not provide services for NRI Trading Providers of no-cost research services does not offer a mechanism for trading with margin Download Groww Download Upstox
Upstox: Advantages & Disadvantages
|Upstox Advantages||Upstox Disadvantages|
|No Commissions or Brokerage Fees on Mutual Funds||Does not offer Tips & recommendation|
|Free Demat AMC for Life||The turnover fees on futures and options are more than those charged by peers.|
|Brokerage with low fees||There are no unlimited monthly trading options available.|
|Online learning that is user-driven, intuitive, and accessible for everyone of all levels.||Does not provide services that are based on research.|
|Aadhar-based signup makes it simple to get things started.||Transfer fees are currently set at ₹7 for each single money transfer.|
|A Reliable Calculator for Brokerage Fees and Margin|
|Margin funding available|
Download Free Upstox account
|Open FREE Groww account|
Why choose Upstox
Reason to choose Upstox over Groww:
- After Market Order (AMO), Cover Order, and BO are all possible to be placed through mobile and online platforms respectively.
- Both the online and mobile versions provide Trailing-Stop/Stop-Loss (SL) features.
- Zero Demat AMC, completely free Demat account for life
- Provides trading for NRIs.
- Offers Mutual Fund Investment, and SIP Investment.
- Ratan Tata, Kalaari Capital, and GVK Davix are among the notable investors that have supported Upstox.
- Upstox provides traders with the most advanced available technologies. The Upstox Platform, which can be accessed on mobile and online, is widely considered to be among the most effective trading platforms for the Indian stock market.
Why choose Groww
Reason to choose Groww over Upstox:
- For delivery trading, Groww levies a fee of either Rs.20 per completed order or 0.05% of the order amount, whichever is lesser.
- Opening a Demat account online is completely paperless and comes with 128-bit SSL encryption.
- Get a free thorough stock analysis including business financials such as the profit and loss statement and the balance sheet, and choose the best shares for you to invest in.
- On purchases, there are no DP fees.
- Groww is a highly-rated smartphone app that facilitates investments in US stocks. However, Vested or Indmoney provides better options and services with lesser fees for investing in US stocks
In the end, the broker that is ideal for you will be determined by the particular investing requirements and preferences that you have. It is a good idea to evaluate the fees, investment possibilities, and trading platforms of both Groww and Upstox in order to choose which one is the better option for you to use. Intraday trading, futures and options trading, and trading of any type involving currencies or commodities are all areas in which I believe Upstox to be better. Groww is preferable for long-term investments, whether such investments are in equities or mutual funds.